Sunday 23 June 2013

Visions of a Spectral Atmosphere

On Friday 21st of June, also the day of the Summer Solstice, Sunderland University held it's annual event "Spectral Visions", this year's event being subtitled "the Revenge".

Basically Spectral Visions is an event held at the university made up of a conference and various different lectures, usually with a gothic theme.  The fun part is that you learn about Gothic literature and from what I've seen some people also get to dress in gothic colours and costumes (Vampires and suchlike).  I was added to the facebook group for the event, but sadly I couldn't make it this year because of... well time/money/distance (as per fecking usual with great events that I want to go to!)

I don't know too much else about it really but the following video gives you a real feel for the event and what's involved etc -


Some of you may say it looks like some sort of amateur freakshow put on by weirdos...

Regardless of what you think, I do believe that these events are well worth going to.  I haven't seen a single post on the facebook group that says they wish they hadn't gone, or that they didn't enjoy it.

I am currently in the process of applying to the University of Sunderland (well if I get a reference provided on time I will be...) and there are so many reasons why I chose Sunderland as a place to go for further education, and events like this is one of them!  I love to dress up, I have also become interested in anything Gothic (a new horizon for me I should add, this time last year would have been a totally different kettle of fish!) and I'm keen to start reading Gothic Literature (I'll probably no doubt start with Dracula or Jekyll and Hyde or something).

So yeah I think that's all I've got left to say at the moment, but do keep checking back/leave comments and things saying how I could improve my blog and suggestions for what to post, that kind of thing.  I'm pretty new to all this, but I do have plans for future posts etc!

best regards

Gordon H

No comments:

Post a Comment